Re: [CQ-Contest] The irony of Operating Time [was: Logging Time [was:Con

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The irony of Operating Time [was: Logging Time [was:Contesting Time Calculation]]
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 04:49:56 -0800
On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 03:23:26PM -0800, Kenneth E. Harker wrote:

> But, actually filling in a
> bandmap to my mind is operating the contest, not preparing for it.

I would generally agree with this point of view.

And if you are unassisted and you use the DX spotting system to fill
your band map before the start of the contest and then turn it off at
before the contest - I would still consider you to be using spotting
assistance during the contest.

For my part.

I do almost zero listening before the start of a contest.  I might
tune through the bands in the hours before the contest to see if there
are signals on some bands.

I might make a few contacts to insure my junk is working.

It has been years since I warmed up a frequency.  Sometimes I am
looking for a frequency in the minute or two before the start of a
contest but more often than not I spend the first minute looking for a
frequency.  Lately it seems I am not even in the chair when the
contest starts.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net