Re: [CQ-Contest] Let's start off the new year better

To: Tom Frenaye <frenaye@pcnet.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Let's start off the new year better
From: Barry <w2up@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 18:16:13 +0000
Tom,
I believe part of the reason fir the large number of list posts is from
the turn-around time from post to appearing on the list.  I understand
that all messages are reviewed, then released.  It appears that messages
are released 2-3x day on average.  Because of the delay, there tends to
be many people saying the same thing, as each one responds, not seeing
the other responses in queue.  If messages were released in real time,
it may cut down on the number of list posts, as once a fact question is
answered, it's over.  Of course, opinion posts are different.

How many messages do you (or other moderators) nix per day?  If minimal,
how about an experiment for a few days, releasing messages to the list
in real-time, as posted?  Most of the other lists to which I subscribe
run in real-time, without problems.

In any case, I, for one, appreciate your time and efforts.

73,
Barry, W2UP

Tom Frenaye wrote:

>I've been doing most of the administrative chores [mostly screening out spam]
>for the CQ-Contest mailing list for several years now.   The list has now
>grown to almost 1150 people, and an unknown number who simply read through the
>message archives..
>
>The discussions on the list have been more cantankerous over time - and they
>have been less about helping people who want to improve their contesting
>skills and more about back-seat lawyering about rules (FCC, contest, social,
>etc).
>
>I'd like to ask that each of you, especially those of you who post a lot of
>messages, to take the time to think about each message you send and make sure
>it will have enough value to such a large mailing list, or whether your
>comments might be best directed to individuals (or contest sponsors) instead.
>I hope we can see more quality and less quantity (especially the one-line
>messages).
>
>In December there were 622 messages posted (20 per day), how many were really
>useful?    Only about 140 different people posted messages (60 people posted
>more than once).
>
>Thanks - and best wishes for 2006!
>
>                        -- Tom/K1KI   (CQ-Contest admin, with help from KM3T)

Barry Kutner, W2UP
Newtown, PA