[CQ-Contest] Ownership of a run frequency

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Ownership of a run frequency
From: "Larry Schimelpfenig" <k7sv@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:26:28 -0500
I had the same thought as Tree regarding a situation where
one group is actively in a QSO while another individual is
seeking Qs in a contest, when conditions change, causing
their efforts to collide. It seems logical to me that
individuals who have a Q in progress would take precedence
over someone who wanted to make a Q.

I had an incident take place last night during the NAQP
phone that raises another question. There are a couple
schools of thought on whether to ask if a frequency is in
use before calling CQ. One is to listen briefly and then
ask. The other is to listen until one is sure there's no-one
using the frequency.

What happened, is a station down in the gulf was calling CQ.
The frequency was clear and I responded. As he was giving
his report someone came on top of him saying there had been
a rag chew going on 2khz below us and we needed to take our
contesting elsewhere. We finished the Q and out of curosity
I listed a bit longer. The fellow in the gulf worked some
more stations further south that were obviously not
bothering the rag chewers. Then I listened to the rag
chewers. One of the four was quite loud, and he's the one
that complained. So the question is, does one ask if the
frequency is in use before answering another stations CQ? I
realize it a ludicrous question, but had to ask anyway!

Tree's thought about the CQ 160 contest rang a bell. Last
year I was part of an east coast multi effort in that
contest. I was the first operator and remained on the same
frequency from the beginning of the contest through the
first three or four hours. As sunset approached the west
coast, it was obvious that a CA station was determined to
use the same frequency. We fought it out for a while and
then he slid a few hundred hz up from us. It may well be
that he was on that frequency when the beginning bell rang,
trying to work the "locals" until propagation lengthened
out. On the other hand, it's well after sunset on the east
coast when the contest begins and we were really "making
hay". Who's the rightful "owner" in this case?

See ya'll on time band, using lp and my own call next
weekend.

73 de Larry K7SV