Re: [CQ-Contest] Somewhere in the Future

To: "CQ-Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Somewhere in the Future
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@centurytel.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 19:30:00 -0800
And they won't drink milk!

E. Litella, call unknown, ca. 1977
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: DGB
  To: Ward Silver
  Cc: CQ-Contest Reflector
  Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2006 7:22 PM

  ... and surely not "serving the world to them on a golden platter" as they've
become accustomed to, as the ARRL would like to do for the sake of increased
numbers! Quality transcends quantity!

  de W9YQ

  Ward Silver wrote:
It's been quite apparent that the League has been focused on a perceived
future of ham radio that doesn't include much of what I know ham radio is
(was?) really all about.  I don't think I need to chronicle the evidence
here.

73, Bob W5OV

I have a strong feeling that most aspects of ham radio will going to look
mighty different in say, 2020, than they do at the beginning of 2006.  This
is not because of some nefarious plot by the ARRL - it is because of
technology and demographics.  I know that the majority of us that form the
"pig in the snake" would like ham radio to stay pretty much like it was when
we got started in it, but I'm not going to bet any money that happening.

Those of us that care about the survival of the ham radio principles we find
near and dear should be thinking about how to convince future hams that
those principles are, in fact, worth keeping as part of ham radio.  It's
about salesmanship and education.

73, Ward N0AX