Re: [CQ-Contest] New category: "Wires only"??

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] New category: "Wires only"??
From: Paul Roche <rochep@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:38:25 -0500
It is funny that this would be considered the "Littlest of Little Pistol"
category ("Wet noodle", I like it) and it is getting trashed because of the
potential for cheating. This antenna, that antenna, blah blah blah trying to
get around the rules by putting up multiple rhombics to "win" this.

How about this:

1. SIngle element verticals
2. Dipoles, max length 140 feet long (an 80 meter dipole). You wanna change
it to be 260 feet long max (160 M dipole), that would be OK with me too, but
I doubt many "Wet noodles" have that kind of space.

This category is for ANTENNA CHALLENGED guys. Full-length 160 M dipoles and
rhombics sound pretty sweet, but at 70' high max that dipole won't do much
compared to a good vertical.

The point is not that newbies want to automatically WIN. The point would be
that I could look at the contest results and get some idea how I performed
relative to others in my class. As it is I am SOAB or TB/wires with no TB.

And the gain of a 80 meter dipole on 40 or 20 is not that much better than a
G5RV anyway, so while the playing field would not be "level", it would be
relatively close for us Wet Noodles.

No desire to ruffle feathers, just to get beginner contesters (like me)
excited about "competing".

paul K3STX