Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC 2006 U. S. National Teams???

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC 2006 U. S. National Teams???
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 08:37:45 -0600
K6LA said:

> For the two groups that organized
> previous WRTC events in the U. S. to make those pocket selections with no
> input from the contesting community when K1ZM, K5ZD, W2GD, K1KI, K4BAI,
> W9RE, N2IC, among others, all of whom actually made applications and have
> not been selected for WRTC 2006, is a travesty.

Respectfully Ken, I'm not sure I could agree it's a travesty.  So much
bandwidth has been spent being critical of the standard selection criteria
that to selectively hold it up as a gold standard (i.e. holding up all the
other regular applicants) against which another way can be called a travesty
doesn't really fly, IMO.

Basically both selection systems have their strengths and weaknesses.  The
fact that they both exist side-by-side looks to me like an understanding on
the part of the sponsor that there is no perfect way to do it.  I don't have
a problem with it.  It's not like it was a big surprise this might happen.

Mark, N5OT