Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP and 75 Meters

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP and 75 Meters
From: Richard DiDonna <nn3w@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 16:05:53 -0500
I just got done reading the ARRL's "white paper" on contest guidelines which
according to W3LPL on the PVRC reflector was very recently released.  Some
interesting points - especially with respect to scheduling of QSOs,
post-contest log editing, and - germaine to the recent discussions - usage of
frequencies popularized as "calling frequencies" and "band plans".

I find it amusing that after all the bellyaching, accusations that some are
immature or are causing contesting to earn a black eye, the Contest Committee
has stated that:

"Band plans are just that - plans. They are designed for normal circumstances
when band loading is much lighter than during a contest. During major contests,
the bands will be very crowded, resulting in conditions that the band plan is
not intended to address. Avoid willful interference and be as courteous as
possible to non-contest QSOs within the limits of the contest rules and
licensing regulations.

Calling frequencies are also intended to allow stations to find their peers
under customary circumstances. During a contest, be aware of where the calling
frequencies are, but if no contacts are going on there, you have every right to
try and make contest QSOs."

So, if 3791 Kc is open, nobody is using it, and the bands are jammed with
contesters, its appears clear that it can and should be used.

73 Rich NN3W