[CQ-Contest] More old QST's

To: dx-list@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] More old QST's
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 18:13:31 -0600 (CST)
Some more prizes from old QST's I've been perusing:

>From March 1970 "How's DX?" by Rod Newkirk, W9BRD:

"Anyone who has the least familiarity with wizened editorial minds knows
perfectly well what the subject of this month's intro will be.  Dern
tootin', an up-dated sample of those questions transmitted in the first
ARRL DX Contest some forty years ago (last month's "How's").  Oh, just in
case somebody wants to try it that way again in the interest of more
meaningful QSO's or something.  Might even bring us back closer to our
craft ...

C-13 How many scratches are on your transceiver?

L-3 Are you insured against loose knobs?

D-31 How high are the front feet on your transceiver?

A-23 Are your chrome strips panel-mount or breadboard?

G-6 Do you know who scratched your transceiver?

Y-1 How many dB over S9 can your S-meter read?

Q-8 Do your house lights blink when you cough?

H-34 Do your neighbors' house lights blink when you cough?

M-17 How do you level uneven transceiver feet?

C-22 Do you get good factory service on loose knobs?

F-7 What is the best amount of chrome on a linear?

X-16 Is your keyer paddle bright red or bright green?

Q-3 Does your mic cord reach the refrigerator?

B-19 Do you ever use spaces with your new keyer?

X-18 How many mics can you test consecutively?

L-14 Does the family pop your VOX from the kitchen?"

"Oh, enough on the technical.  Most of us are said to be appliance ops
anyway, and we wouldn't want to discourage contest participation by being
overly scientific.  How about something along this line to fit other
vital topics of the day?

E-5 Scratches aside, what do you hate most about ham radio?

W-16 Did you have difficulty financing your station?

Z-12 What's the resale value of an unscratched '68 Zupersparker?

A-7 How many clubs and societies have you resigned from?

C-38 Which radio regulation is easiest to ignore?

J-1 How do you chase others off your favorite frequency?

Say, this is a FUN game! ... "

Still more to come ...

73, Zack W9SZ