Re: [CQ-Contest] Response to KA1LMR's Posting About Spotting

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Response to KA1LMR's Posting About Spotting
From: "Jose Valdes" <jvaldesr@cantv.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 18:11:47 -0000
As you now know I don't endorse self spotting or requesting another station
to spot you, but I also know that rules must be specified clearly, and this
is not the case here, the rule that you mentions and does not allow spotting
your own station or requesting another station to spot you is rule 3.14 of
the General Rules for All ARRL Contests that says:

"3.14. In contests where spotting nets are permissible, spotting your own
station or requesting another station to spot you is not permitted."

As I read this rules I can clearly see that this rule applies to contests
were spotting nets are permitted, and not to categories were spotting nets
are permitted, in none of the ARRL contest the use of spotting nets is
permitted to every one entering (all categories), MM, MS and SOAS are
special categories that allow the use of spotting assistance, for SOAS
(Single Operator Assisted) the use of spotting assistance is expressly
permitted by the HF General rule 2.2.1 of the General Rules for ARRL
Contests on bands below 30 MHz (HF):

"2.2.1.Use of spotting assistance or nets (operating arrangements involving
other individuals, DX-alerting nets, packet, etc) not physically located at
the station is permitted."

As I read this rule is clear to me that a SOAS entry is allowed to request
spots, when he ask some one to spot him, he is in fact making arrangements
with another individual not physically located at his station to spot him
and this expressly allowed in rule 2.2.1, further more, the words
"......DX-alerting nets, packet, etc" allow any type of assistance and the
key word here is "etc" which impose no limitation on the assistance that he
may get or request.

To prohibit SOAS the request for spots a rule must be written to the fact, a
special rule for a special category.

For SO entries the history is different, rule 2.1.1 expressly prohibit ant
type of assistance.

2.1.1.Use of spotting assistance or nets (operating arrangements involving
other individuals, DX-alerting nets, packet, Internet, etc) is not
permitted.

This rules even indicates that the use of Internet is not permitted,
something that is not prohibited in rule 2.2.1, so in essence a SOAS may
join an Internet forum/chat and request a QSO, spotting or any other
assistance he my require.

Disqualification does not applies to SOAS requesting spots and/or
assistance.

I can elaborate further but I will live it here.

73/DX Jose M. Valdes R. (Joe) YV5LIX
eQSL.cc Advisory Board Member
QSL manager EA7FTR
SYSOP YV5LIX DX Cluster