I recently went through a similar experience converting a KT-34XA to a
KT-36XA. To solve the problem, I first took the antenna down and removed
each element from the boom. I erected a temporary 15 foot tower so I
could easily analyze each element. I measured the resonant frequency of
each element using an impedance bridge at the center of the element (you
could also use an antenna analyzer, etc.), and compared with previous
measurements made by K6MYC, W4EF and K1KP on their XA's (see
). Once you make the measurements, it should be easy to see which
element(s) has the problem.
In my case, I found that the Rear DE was resonant way too high in the
band on 10 meters. I ended up lengthening the 10 meter linear loading
strap until the resonant frequency fell into the right place, which
solved my XA problem.
Good luck !
> Well, almost...
> WPX SSB is coming, and after two weekends
> working at my KLM KT34XA I am still lost,
> because it's impossible to put SWR in good
> levels. I changed all coaxial cables, conectors.
> WX0B help me to put 4:1 balun working
> ok after being full of water. Even that balun
> was changed and back again just for testing
> KLM balun - both working on the same
> way. Radio is working fine. But no way to
> change this SWR figure:
> 1:1 to 1:3 all 15 m band;
> 4:1 all 20m band;
> 5:1 all 10m band.
> Everything seems to be ok, but the antenna
> was at the top of the tower all the time -
> almost no space to work on it at the
> The only good news is that I am 40
> and (miracle of the miracles) strong enough
> to climb 22m high tower 10 times at
> each Saturday - but I am really tired!!
> If you have any kind of sugestion, please
> use my personal E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
> Thank you and see you soon...
> - Vitor -
> CQ-Contest mailing list
CQ-Contest mailing list