Re: [CQ-Contest] KENWOOD TS-2000

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KENWOOD TS-2000
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 11:14:59 -0500 (CDT)
On Mon, 1 May 2006, Jamie Dupree NS3T wrote:

> At 09:20 PM 4/29/2006, AD5VJ Bob wrote:
>
> >Does anyone here know if a KENWOOD TS-2000 can be used as an
> >effective contest rig?
> >
> >Opinions please.
> >
> > 73 fer nw,
> >Bob AD5VJ(AAR6VM)
>
> First, I have to say I am always amazed at the negative reviews
> the TS-2000 gets from people who have never touched it.  I'm not
> sure what spurs this - but seemingly whenever someone asks
> about it, the first reply is always that "it didn't get good reviews" etc.
> (Check the reviews at www.eham.net, they are overwhelmingly positive.)

I used one on Field Day a couple years ago.  I wanted to make some CW
QSO's and the OWNER couldn't even figure out how to turn on the sidetone
for CW. (Admittedly, he must not work much CW).

I am not fond of menu-driven radios. The TS-2000 appeared to go overboard
in that respect.

But maybe after you've owned one for a few months it's better.  I don't
see someone learning it in a few days, though.

73, Zack W9SZ