Re: [CQ-Contest] Used Rig Query for New Contestor

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Used Rig Query for New Contestor
From: W1HIJCW@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:57:02 EDT
In a message dated 7/23/2006 5:53:24 AM Pacific Standard Time,
n6ki_73@sbcglobal.net writes:
The only rig I can think of that would be in his price range of under $1000
might be an older  FT-1000MP but as I recall, most people who
got rid of the FT-1000Ds to buy the original MPs had many complaints and
went back to their 1000Ds !

If $1000  is not enough than how much would he have to lay out - $1500?
My $.02 worth ... There is no question that the 1000D is a better (depending
on your requirements) rig than the 1000MP. That said however, the MP has a
bunch of advantages such as a much easier computer interface, runs on either
12VDC or 110VAC, has the potential to utilize optional filters (including a 3
kHz
roofing) from INRAD, has a long track record as the radio of choice for
multi-multi stations, etc.

Currently a "good" MP sells for anywhere from $900 to $1200 depending the age
and general condition. I can tell you as a result of my experience working at
HRO in Anaheim that interestingly enough, additional filters and other
accessories DO NOT significantly add to the resale value. So it pays to ask
questions about what options are included in a particular radio. Keep in mind
also
that I am talking about the "original MP", not the Mark V or the Mark V Field.

For my money, I would search out a good recent (1999 or 2000) MP, add
whatever filters and options are desired, and go from there. That's what I did,
after
selling both my FT1000D and my FT990.

73 de Bill, W1HIJ/6, aka FOØSCH (2000, 2001, 2002), FO8DX (WPXCW 2001)
Pina Colada Contest Club (KP2AA)
NA6Q, (WPXCW05), W6EMC (ARRLDXCW06-M/2)
Field Day Teams: NP4A (02), COØUS (03), KP2AA (04), KP2AA (05), KP2AA(06)