Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL says no to opening logs...

To: "'CQ-Contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL says no to opening logs...
From: "Warren C. Stankiewicz" <nf1j@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 16:07:05 -0700
So someone sees their call in a log somewhere, and gets a card they didn't
deserve.

And possibly gets an award in a program because of it.

A program that basically consists of a certificate for your wall, a sticker,
a pin, and if you find yourself one of the Great Deserving, a wooden plaque.

Woo-hoo.

The program is run by the ARRL, not the Depository Trust Company. The only
real money involved here are dues, and whatever you spend to build your
station in terms of time, effort, and dollars in pursuit of the
above-mentioned "goodies".

So someone gets a card they shouldn't have. They know who they are. They
know (or should know) what they did is/was wrong. Does it affect how I feel
about the program? Not a chance. Those of you who feel this possible
cheating (and it's an edge case, at best) cheapens the award, again, what
should the award be worth? Why are we so concerned about what other people
do, when, in the end, it is what we ourselves do which truly matters?

The so-called "integrity" of the DXCC program and the practice of QSLing has
been skewed vastly out of proportion since the 1960's. Until and unless we
all stand as one, and beg to stop the insanity, the program and the process
will continue to be tied up in details and minutae which have little
interest or bearing in the real world. There's just too much paranoia about
what could happen, and what a small number of disreputable hams may or may
not do, for it all it make much sense.

I realize there are hams out there, and on this reflector, for whom the
pursuit of DXCC and membership on the Honor Roll are passions, and even
obsessions, and to whom my remarks will seem intended to offend. Sorry about
that. This was truly written with malice towards none, and in the vain hope
we can one day find a little balance..

73,

Warren, NF1J