[CQ-Contest] DXCC absurdities (and why they don't matter)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] DXCC absurdities (and why they don't matter)
From: Paul Young <youngp@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 21:19:14 -0400
Let me see now:

I have heard QSOs on nets where one station plainly cannot
hear the other.  They guess the RST (three tries) and they
get a card.  The ARRL counts these.

A well-known QSL manager doesn't check cards against logs.
The ARRL has accepted thousands of cards from this person.

I have a card for a QSO which was not made with a station
which was probably not in the country (hint:  Where for
art thou).  The ARRL would accept this card for DXCC.

I have a blank signed QSL from a country in Asia that I
have not worked on 80 meters.

And then there are all the DXers with 3CX3000A7's or 4x1's
run like sweep tubes.

But I'm a contester.  I know it is possible to cheat and I
even know people who do (or did).  But I don't care.  I
operate contests because OPERATING CONTESTS IS FUN.

Can we go back to talking about contests now?

                        Paul, K1XM