[CQ-Contest] 1966 vs 2006 [was: Why did the Canadians (PT5M) beatthe Ame

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] 1966 vs 2006 [was: Why did the Canadians (PT5M) beatthe Americans...]
From: Radiosporting Fan <radiosporting@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 06:04:31 -0700 (PDT)
--- Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com> wrote:

> The original source for the "2 dB improvement" quote
> probably comes from QST, September 1966, "Station
> Design for DX" by W3AFM:
> "Incidentally, in progressive antenna changes at
> W3AFM, increments of only 2 dB in antenna gain have
> opened up, in each case, a new layer of
> workable central-Asian DX."

Hi Steve,
Thanks for digging up this information.  I was
wondering about the source for this information

Given the state-of-the-art in 1966 this sounds
reasonable.  Given the state-of-the-art in 2006 (and
the ability of modern transceivers to dig out weaker
signals), I would wonder if the number is closer to
5-dB or more before "another layer" is revealed due
simply to technical issues and not operator skill.

Anyway...I'm just pondering and not making any
statement of fact.

Ev, W2EV

Do You Yahoo!?
CQ-Contest mailing list