[Yaesu] The law of diminishing returns

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, dx-list@yahoogroups.com,icom@mailman.qth.net, yaesu@contesting.com, yaesu@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Yaesu] The law of diminishing returns
From: John Geiger <johngeig@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 20:06:44 -0700 (PDT)
Here is a question I have about station design, but
first let me set up the situation:

Current setup-I recently picked up a rig in good
condition that does a pretty good job for me.  It
covers HF and 6 meters (my favorite band) and knocks
the noise out at my QTH as good as any rig I have
seen.  It is not considered a contesting rig or big
gun DX rig, but I do like it and it does all the
bands/modes that I am currently interested in.
I won't list the brand or model to avoid biasing
brand or model.

Current operating-DXing, casual contesting, and some
ragchewing, plus hunting grid squares on 6m.  I have a
full time job, and a fairly young family with a 3 1/2
year old daughter. Just can't get alot of time in
front of the rig, especially for hard core contesting.
 Plus I have a fairly simple antenna system (2 element
mini quad) but have worked 310 countries, and did 850
QSOs a few years ago in the 10 meter contest for my
best contest effort ever (pre daughter days).

Now here is my question.  Given that I am a fairly
limited budget, when do I hit the point of diminishing
returns.  By that I mean, when does spending extra
money to upgrade to another radio not pay for itself
in the extra performance you buy.  Would spending an
extra $800 to upgrade to a 756PRO or FT1000MP really
be worth it?  Given my operating style, would I be
getting my money's worth out of that extra money?
That would be pushing things a bit financially, but it
wouldn't make up homeless or starving, or anything

I am sure that others have similiar situations and
similar questions.  So when do you hit the point where
the extra money isn't worth the extra performance?

73s John

Do You Yahoo!?
Yaesu mailing list