Re: [CQ-Contest] A Famous Contester

To: "Ellen White, W1YL" <w1yl@tampabay.rr.com>,"Mike Wetzel" <mjwetzel@comcast.net>,"Cq Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>,"FCG" <FCG@kkn.net>, <foc_members@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A Famous Contester
From: "Jim Neiger" <n6tj@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 17:35:12 -0700
A-men to that, Ellen.

 Scott and his wife Donna have been my dear friends since 1970, or so, and
we always smile at some of our fondly remembered contesting sagas.  It just
doesn't get any better than that.

I still have the recording I made in September 1972 when I was VR1W on
Canton Island, and Scotty was at his XE1IIJ killer station - he egging me
on, in his inimitable way (he ALWAYS being the consummate competitor)  that
I should go to Nick YV4UA Maracay, Venezuela, sugarcane plantation station
for the 1972 CQ WW SSB contest.  I was to be just some more fodder for
Scotty to vanquish with his rapid-fire contesting skills.

Reluctantly I went, with my broken Signal One, miraculously fixed four hours
before the contest started, raced outside each time to turn the shorty forty
(Armstrong method) while Nick and Maria's German Shepard chased me back to
the shack.  Made it through the 48 hours, held-on to win, Bill K1GQ 2nd from
KH6RS, and Scotty 3rd from Mexico.  I was extra pleased in that it took Don
Miller's World Record out of the books.

Where I'm going with this story is: the next year, Scotty dropped by Nick's
Maracay shack to see first hand the killer antenna system with which I
prevailed.  Later, Nick hysterically related to me, of the puzzled look on
Scotty's face, as he walked around the shack and plantation looking for the
huge antenna that I certainly must have used, and discovered it was nothing
more than the shorty forty, one-half of an 80 meter Inv- V on 160, and a
little 2 element triband quad.

Shorty thereafter, of course, Scotty went on to win the ARRL DX SSB contest
from Mexico, and became the first (alien) ever to make more than 10,000
QSO's in a contest.

I think the ONLY major contest Scotty hasn't won is the CQ WW CW contest.

Why Scotty isn't in the Ham Radio and Contesting Hall of Fames is anybody's
guess.

An amazing man, fabulous contester, and with his 40 years of service to our
country, simply among the finest that credit our hobby.

Vy 73

Jim Neiger    N6TJ