Re: [CQ-Contest] Pre tuned Hf amps

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Pre tuned Hf amps
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 23:46:11 -0400
The K8CC has used such a configuration (separate amps for each band,
located remotely from the operator) since 1989.  The station has been
run multi-multi, multi-two, multi-single and even SO2R.  We're learned a
lot from this experience resulting in the following comments:

    * An amplifier designed with commonly accepted design practice for
      the output network (Q=10-12) will not cover the frequency range
      for both phone and CW on any of the amateur bands from 160-10
      meters without retuning.  This might surprise some people.

    * The operating conditions on many amplifier designs get upset
      switching antennas on the same band (even with similar SWR).  This
      is largely a choice of the tubes used.

    * Rather than using tubes which need elaborate protection circuitry
      (ex: 3CX800s, 8877s, etc.), a better solution in our experience is
      to use tubes which don't need protecting except in cases of the
      grossest faults (ex: 3-500Z pairs, 3-1000Z, 4-1000A, etc.).  These
      tubes are much less sensitive to changes in load impedance when
      you switch antennas.

At K8CC we use a homebrew relay box which had two rig inputs and six
amp/band outputs.  This box "steers" the RF and keying relay line from
each radio to the intended band, with the appropriate lockouts.  Such a
box is economical to build, because all of the RF switching occurs at
the 100W level.  Simple single-band bandpass filters are used between
the relay box and each amp, rather than a fancy multi-band Dunestar or ICE.

When we do multi-multi, its a simple matter to take the relay box out of
line and patch each amp to a single-band operating position.

I agree with one of the respondents in this thread that you can build
six single-band amplifiers out of robust parts for less than the cost of
an auto-tune Alpha or ACOM.  Or you can do like my friend K5GO did and
acquire of six used AL-1500s.  But with six amps it's easy to do multis
or SO2R; to do these kind of operations with auto-tune amps you need
two, so the "six cheap amps" approach is a LOT less expensive.

73,

Dave/K8CC