Re: [CQ-Contest] f/B Antenna ratios - reception

To: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] f/B Antenna ratios - reception
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 13:04:23 -0400
1967 November 18-20 Sweepstakes CW:

crystal controlled on either 7180 or 7196 kHz.  (15 years old - didn't
have much money for radio.)
60 W to a too-short dipole.  (Didn't know much about antennas.)
Hand key.
Licensed 4 months, 2 days.  (Had worked 137 QSOs.)

Operated 24 hours (full time), because the rules said you could!
Called 185 stations, most unsuccessfully.  (Tuned around a lot!)
Worked 26 stations in 18 sections.  (2,058 points)  (Didn't know
anything about rate!)
Also logged every CQ SS called.

Got a certificate for the highest Novice class licensee score in Western
New York.

Thus began the eternal quest to learn how to perform better in this
sport.  I'm still learning... (guess I'm slow)... still operate full
time... and still having a great time.

   (And it took many years before I got any other contest certificate.
That 1967 SS certificate was rather lonely and bleached in the sun...)

73,
   -- Eric K3NA  (ex-WN2CAL)