[CQ-Contest] Viral Contesting [was: Contesting Extinction]

To: CQ Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Viral Contesting [was: Contesting Extinction]
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 06:36:19 -0700 (PDT)
I don't believe that the drop in VHF contesting has
anything to do with age, deed restrictions or anything
of the sort.  Those are excuses that people like to
use (sort of like feigning poverty yet still finding
plenty of money for other things that interest them).
<G>

Instead, I'll restate something said too many times
before:

People participate in radio sports because:
1. There is a "draw" (something interesting that is
   often defined by the individual themselves)
2. There is a personal reward for participating

Examples: MySpace, Facepage, cell phones, fantasy
football/baseball/etc.

Entertainment is "viral".  If a radio sport meets the
criteria above, it needs little/no long-term
marketing.  Participation simply spreads on its own
momentum.

Now I'll ask the correlary to the "what is broken?"
question: "How do we make VHF contesting more viral?"

Ev, W2EV