[CQ-Contest] 2x4 County designators (was Contest Rules)

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] 2x4 County designators (was Contest Rules)
From: Robert Chudek - KØRC <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:38:09 -0500
Bud, et.al.,

A new feature was just added to the QSO Party module in N1MM Logger (v6.10.4).
When you have the County Multiplier window open, you can click the county
abbreviation and it will populate the Log Entry Window.

This new feature had not been implemented before the CaQP, but this should help
folks who are not intimately familiar with all the county abbreviations in a
state. Especially those of us who are "bi-lingual challenged" regarding names
coming from non-English roots. [San Joaquin, Lac Qui Parle, Esmeralda,
Chatutauqua, Nacogdoches, and Outagamie for a few examples!]

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Part of original message _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Admittedly, there's a short-term "conversion problem' on voice modes
while we figure out how to best bridge the gap between the spoken county
name and its typed or handwritten 4-character representation in the log
entry process, but I'm confident that software methods for converting
even mis-spelled and mis-typed county names and partial county names to
the right 4 characters  in the 2x4 County field are less complex to
implement than many of the *existing* features of today's contest
logging programs.

Bud, W2RU