Re: [CQ-Contest] Real Time Scoreboards

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Real Time Scoreboards
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 21 Oct 2006 13:23:13 -0500
On Sat, 2006-10-21 at 09:44, Guy Molinari wrote:
>Second, posting to the system is deemed equivalent to a spot (and a self spot
>no less).

The WAG contest is in progress.

I can tell you DL1IAO will be on 40 meters in about five hours.

Does that information provide an unfair advantage?  If you want to work
him, you've still got to *listen* on 40 and figure out just where on 40
meters he is!

I just don't see realtime scoring amounting to a self-spot.  There just
isn't enough information there.

N8RA wrote:
"...Real time score scoreboards fell into the category of "a new idea to
try". I am fortunate to have the infrastructure to allow it: an
always-on internet connection and powerful enough computer, so I gave it
a try during the last..."

FYI the N1MM Logger version seems to work fine on my K6/2-450MHz, 64MB
RAM running Windows 98.  I would suggest any PC meeting the N1MM
hardware requirements would do the trick.  I've also got a dialup
Internet connection which is more than adequate.  (though it should be
noted I'm single so there's no XYL or harmonics complaining about the
phone line being tied up!)

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66

CQ-Contest mailing list