[CQ-Contest] It is what it is, but....

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] It is what it is, but....
From: Charles Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 05:32:27 -0500
I've been watching the thread about the rules, and I think I can
finally put into words what the big complaint is. Now to me, as a guy
who is running a sub popgun station, for 2-3 hours during the contest,
I really don't care

Let's do a thought experiment

Take whichever winning station in CQWW for say the last 5-10 years,
with the same winning team

Move them to the US (or Europe or where ever) - your choice of
location for that country

Have them run the contest

Would it be _POSSIBLE_ to win?

One way (which has errors - don't scream YET) to check this would be
to rescore their exact log from that year, under the rules for the
country in question, and see what happens.  Of course THIS has huge
problems - but we could get answers.  Let's skip it for now

The other is to guess - let's face it - move the station to say the
US, it becomes easier to work US/VE and harder to work some other
places.

I think the real objection here is that CQWW has become a contest not
of ham radio per se, but a contest of who has the money and
connections to deal with overseas bureaucracies

In other words - pick a country, any country and ask the question - if
I built the BEST station money could buy, and staffed it with the best
operators in the world, at the peak of their game, would it be
possible for me to win from that county?  People are objecting because
we ALL know the answer to this question is - "NO"

--
73 de KG2V

For the Children - RKBA!

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.