[CQ-Contest] Where's Waldo [was: section names, SD v SDG]

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Where's Waldo [was: section names, SD v SDG]
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 06:53:12 -0800 (PST)
From: steve.root@culligan4water.com

KE3Q said: "Seriously, there are people who get on and make their first QSO
ever and plenty who don't have any idea what section they're in. "

I worked an N2 who gave me a perfect exchange, except for a sectiuon he sent
"NY". I asked him 'SEC?" and he again sent "NY". So I asked him "ENY, WNY, or
NNY?" and he just sat there completely confused. So I finally said "Tnx anyway
NIL", deleted the QSO and went back to work.

This isn't unique to HF contesting.  Given the Grid-centric way that VHF
operates, you'd think that everyone would know their Grid4 (if not their
Grid6).  Nope.

Ev, W2EV

PS: Grids can be exteded out to 12 meaningful cyphers.  It would be an
interestingly quirky project for someone to write a java app to calculate it
all out! :)