Re: [CQ-Contest] Quick Question

To: Ward Silver <hwardsil@gmail.com>,CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Quick Question
From: Guy Molinari <guy_molinari@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 22:42:19 +0000
Thanks Ward.   I was trying to get absolute clarity on what is allowed in the
multiop class.   I might do a multiop from my place for SS phone to introduce
contesting to my brother-in-law.  I thought he might enjoy watching/working the
spots.

I personally don't care much for the assisted category and think that packet
goes contrary to what radio is about.   Finding and working stations using
amateur radio means.   I do respect that others might like to use the cluster.
 To each his own I guess.

I do wholeheartedly agree with your comments about "calling CQ on the cluster".
  I think the heart of the issue is *INTEGRITY*.   I think that it is entirely
appropriate given your contributions to the sport and hobby in general.
73 - Guy, N7ZG

> From: hwardsil@gmail.com> To: cq-contest@contesting.com> Date: Thu, 9 Nov
> 2006 09:08:37 -0800> Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Quick Question> > > The SS
> rules say that spotting assistance is allowed for multi-ops. Does > > this
> mean general use of the packet cluster, or an op on a second radio?> > Using
> the spotting networks to send and receive spots is just fine in the M >
> category - subject to the following two rules from the General Rules at >
> http://www.arrl.org/contests/announcements/rules-all.html.> > 3.10.The use of
> non-Amateur Radio means of communication (for example, > Internet or
> telephone) to solicit a contact (or contacts) during the contest > period is
> not permitted.> > 3.14.In contests where spotting nets are permissible,
> spotting your own > station or requesting another station to spot you is not
> permitted.> > This is not in the General Rules (perhaps it should be) but
> you're not > supposed to solicit QSOs (or anything that leads someone to make
> a QSO with > you,
  such as subtle hints, nudge-and-a-wink, know what I mean?) on any band > or
mode that is not in use by the contest. For example, going to 20 phone > and
trying to get somebody in the Eastern Washington Organ Failure Net to > come
down to CW and give you a QSO. Or trying to get stations on 17 meters > to move
to 20 for you. If the EWOFN meets on CW, though, your interpersonal > skills
may be employed to eke a contact out of an unsuspecting > non-participant - one
of the rarely mentioned great pleasures of contesting.> > 73, Ward N0AX > >