Re: [CQ-Contest] Check of 00, a disadvantage?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Check of 00, a disadvantage?
From: K4RO Kirk Pickering <k4ro@k4ro.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 16:02:55 -0600
On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 02:48:29PM -0500, ku8e@bellsouth.net wrote:
> I can't stand my check - 76 - I must get hundreds of requests for
> repeats every year in SS - both CW and SSB !!!

My check is also 76, and I used to have the same problem in SS.
It is almost as bad as my name on phone NAQP, which is lousy.

The last two years of SS, I ran at a slightly lower average CW
speed (31 WPM) and I put an additional slowdown around the "76"
on my check. It made a huge difference.  The number of repeat
requests went down drastically. Sometimes the smallest things
can make a big difference.

Of course, I was trying to run with 5W at the band fringes, and
maybe getting one answer for every 25 CQ's. I didn't have enough
oomph to hold better run freqencies, even though I "thought loud"
as always. If I could hold 7033 for example, I would have gone
faster than 31 WPM, at least on Saturday. But I would have still
slowed down the "76."

73

-Kirk  K4RO