Re: [CQ-Contest] 4 digit CK in SS coming???

To: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 4 digit CK in SS coming???
From: Jack Brindle <jackbrindle@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 09:36:00 -0800
So? The point is not to show off the older stations, but to emulate
the check that is used in a standard radiogram message. It is usually
two digits, making the current SS CK parameter a good one. I would
not want to send a radiogram which required four digits in the word
count (check), and it seems that just two characters for the SS CK is
about right as well.

On Nov 11, 2006, at 6:32 AM, Eric Hilding wrote:

> (Re-Threaded from: Sweepstakes: Should I be penalized forgetting my
> license in 2000?)
>
> On Thu, 9 Nov 2006, Ron Notarius W3WN wrote:
>
>> Although numerically 00 - 06 are smaller numbers than 12, they
>> represent the
>> years 2000 - 2006; 12 represents 1912 (at least for another 6
>> years when we
>> finally overlap the centuries).  So 12 is still the earliest check
>> possible,
>> even if it's not the lowest number possible.
>
> Sorry, but no!  W1MX sent me a CK of 09.  I think I had some other
> very early-Century entries as well.
>
> Umh, I think we have a "situation" more rapidly approaching here
> that may require change to a 4 digit CK in SS.
>
> In SS 2009 W1MX and other OT's (or OT Club Stations in this
> example) licensed in 1909 will not be distinguished from new SS ops/
> stations that are "first licensed" in 2009. Year after year the
> situation will worsen.
>
> 73...
>
> Rick, K6VVA
>
> c. KC1J - ARRL Contests