Re: [CQ-Contest] For $0.99 you get... [was: SS Packet DANGER, DANGER,Wil

To: CQ-Contest Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] For $0.99 you get... [was: SS Packet DANGER, DANGER,Will Robinson!!!]
From: Mike Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 20:13:12 -0500
Bill Turner wrote:
> [...]
    Bill, I don't necessarily think that the concept is that simple. I
think people on both sides of this discussion are thoughtful, and both
sides put forth some persuasive arguments.

    And I definitely know that if we are going to define *exactly* what
constitutes assistance, we'll come up with many more questions than answers.

    Of course one of us could contact the sponsor and ask specific
questions, such as "If a fellow Ham tells me that there is a rare
station/mult/whatever operating at some frequency nearby, and I contact
that station am I now in the assisted category? Furthermore, ask if you
are then prohibited from a QSO with that Op during the rest of the
contest? Or only that band? Find out what they would say.

    And of course just *how* such a rule could be enforced or even
verified for that matter would be another good question.

    I wouldn't be too surprised if they have the same reaction that I do
when I am asked questions about canoes in the middle of a river on a
county line, and want to know if that constitutes a maritime mobile
county line station. 8^) And that is "Are you people in this to have
some friendly competition, or to try to play "Stump the Sponsor""?

    - 73 de Mike KB3EIA -