Re: [CQ-Contest] MIDCARS

To: "Sean D. Fleming" <sean@k8khz.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] MIDCARS
From: "K0HB " <k-zero-hb@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 19:12:16 -0000
Sean,

Thanks for the QSO on 7257.8 this past weekend. (Yes, I looked it up.)

"Monitoring" conveys no protection nor ownership of a frequency.  I have a
copy of the ARRL "net guide" here, and it runs way over 100 pages of small
print.  If we are required to avoid every QRG that someone might possibly
"monitor" for net checkins, we'd pretty much have to do our contesting on
1.296GHz!

As a related matter, I just renewed my license on Halloween, so I have it
handy, and the legal gobbledeegook printed on the back clearly informs me
that I don't have any rights to reserved channels.  Do you expect the
Midcars folks have negotiated an FCC reservation at 7258, and had the back
of their license modified accordingly?

73 es beep beep,
de Hans, K0HB
--
 ><{{{{*>    http://www.home.earthlink.net/~k0hb

there is an award for working every providence in Canada.

>   Secondly, I was working the contest for some time on 7.260 on SUnday
Afternoon when the midcars people were saying I was causing QRM to them on
7.258.

>   I know that on a contest weekend that being 3khz spacing never occurs
it is more like 2. With that said. My main question is why is it the
Midcars net goes from 0900 - 1400 hrs Eastern Time. this is 5 hours long. I
know of no other net that does this. Most of the time there is no active
QSO there but if you ask if the frequency is in use someone will come back
and say yes, they are Monitoring. Monitoring is not having a QSO. So, is
the net really that long? I believe that the MIDCARS is trying to hold the
frequency for a good cause for mobiles that want to talk  and check in.
But, maybe they should ask the FCC to get that frequency as a national
calling mobile frequency.  I had asked one operator who was asking me to
move what time the net was over they came back and said, "when ever the
last checkin is" I aksed if this was an open ended. I feel that this is not
right. There should be a limit placed on thier net as far as time.