[CQ-Contest] New Run Mode Macro

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] New Run Mode Macro
From: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 18:04:14 -0800
Some of you may do this already, but for those who don't, perhaps it may be of
benefit.

As soon as the new custom mounts are done for my revamped X-KEYS setup on the
Ergonomic keyboard, I am definitely adding a separate key that will auto-append
a "?" to any partial letter callsign (as an optional method)  and then send the
exchange. With my big hands, I keep fumbling around too much to press the SHIFT
key plus the "?" at the same time to plug this into the callsign window ;-(
Some times, of course, I do not add the "?" but just send the partial call.
The fewer letters I've copied, the more I tend to want to add the "?".  I
believe most loggers allow for multi-key assignments to a Macro key.

In the brief times I was QRV in the ARRL 160m Contest, I had some real bizzare
moments that normally don't happen to frequently.

Those being, 2, 3, 4 or more stations calling dead-zero beat with each other at
just about the same signal strength.  I'd generally end up only being able to
get the last 2 letters of the slowest caller at the end (or use only 1 letter
if that's all I could copy when the dust settled), *try* to add the "?" and
then send the exchange to eliminate another back & forth.  Umh, there were some
QLF moments on the keyboard lnd a few delays when I couldn't enter the "?" fast
enough ;-(

Most ops were pretty sharp & just corrected their callsigns (if I copied wrong
or mis-typed letters), and/or filled in the missing letters or number.  Tnx,
guys, for your patience!

Yup, ONE key to multi-task this type of situation in the future should make
things flow more smoothly at times, and I hope it may work for you too.

FYI & 73...

RIck, K6VVA