Re: [CQ-Contest] Random acts of kindness, Unassisted Categories,Rules, e

To: CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Random acts of kindness, Unassisted Categories,Rules, etc.
From: Mike Gilmer <n2mg@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 08:19:25 -0800 (PST)
K5TR wrote:
> Let me give a more explicit example.
> -----------------------------
> Consider this:
>
> I (K5TR) am in the SS.
> I still need West Texas and KP4 for a sweep.
> I am call CQ and running guys.
> Someone calls in and we exchange information.
>
> I ask him, "Do you know where West Texas and/or
> KP4 are?".
>
> He either does not or does not answer.
> I keep running guys.
> A few contacts later I work someone else.
>
> I ask him, "Do you know where West Texas and/or
> KP4 are?".
>
> Still no information.
> I keep running guys.
> Someone comes by and tells me that NP4A is on
21.354.

> I dial my second radio to 21.354 and work NP4A.
>
> --------------------------------
>
> Can I still enter as a single op unassisted
> station?
> Yes or No
>
> I would like to see a show of hands on this
question.

Before I answer, let me go further:
What if, using your example, rather than being passed
the frequency of a KP4, instead NP4A shows up on
frequency and unbeknownst to you, he had been sent
there by someone else (a Good Samaritan) who had heard

your pleas?

Anyway, to your example, I'll say, "No." You are
"Assisted" (or rather "Unlimited").

Even though you aren't connected to any formal
spotting network, or using a prearranged agreement,
I'd say you crossed the line by repeatedly asking for
information on the whereabouts of a needed mult.

Now, where I'd have *some* sympathy would be if you'd
uttered a single casual comment out of frustration
like after working yet another W0 in Colorado,
saying something like, "Jeez, where's North Dakota?"
Still, it'd be better if you had said nothing...

-Mike N2MG