Re: [CQ-Contest] Declining assistance gracefully [was:OMG...anotherpost.

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Declining assistance gracefully [was:OMG...anotherpost...]
From: "Paul J. Piercey" <p.piercey@nl.rogers.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 18:52:54 -0000

Ev,

I'd be happy to agree with you IF this practice was specifically forbidden
in the contest rules. As they stand now, there is nothing that I can see in
the rules that comes close to prohibiting anyone from acting upon
unsolicited information. Anyone bothered by the perception of using random
information is, of course, free to voluntarily decline the info anytime.
However, I truly believe that a vast majority would not or does not
disregard it.

To expand on the subject a little... suppose you were tuning around the
band, happened upon a pileup for a station and overheard another op tell
that running station about a mult that you needed also operating a few kcs
up the band. You haven't called the running station yet or made your
presence known on that frequency. Would you then keep tuning until you came
across that mult, ignoring all other running stations until you found him?

73 -- Paul VO1HE