[CQ-Contest] ARRL DX contest and assisted rule

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX contest and assisted rule
From: Robert Chudek - KØRC <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 14:46:30 -0600
A similar scenario came to my attention last weekend during the 160m CW
contest. I was running unassisted. But during daylight on Saturday and Sunday I
wanted to pick up some new entities in the TARA RTTY contest. I would want to
run with packet in TARA. This is a similar situation to what John, W5TD
described in his message.

But what really got me was this... I was using N1MM during the 160m contest. I
shut that program down and started up DXLab Suite so I could check my RTTY
standings. Well I didn't think about the logger automatically logging me into
the spotting network. So it did. An innocent "mistake"!

Now, under very strict guidelines, the ARRL contest branch could check and see
I had logged into a spotting network, compare that to my claim of un-assisted
category in my submitted log, and change my category. I doubt this will happen.

There comes the time when your conscience really guides you in interpretation.
I'm sure we can continue to dream up hundreds of scenarios which create
"catch-22" situations like this. But it all boils down to individuals using
"sportsman like conduct" and understanding "contest sponsor decisions are
final".

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

Message: 4