[CQ-Contest] An attempt at a foundational understanding [was: I cansee t

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] An attempt at a foundational understanding [was: I cansee the difference...]
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 03:04:06 -0800 (PST)
----- Original Message ----

As for point 5, acting on info overheard, I think it would be very difficult
for anyone to ignore such info in a manner such as Tree has suggested. You do
have the option to continue your run and ignore the info if it's told directly
to YOU on YOUR run frequency but if I'm in a queue for yet another MDC and
someone mentions that a mult I need is just up the band, I'm abandoning the MDC
for the new one. If that makes me a bad guy, well, I guess I'm a bad guy.
---------------------------

Contest rules apply to everyone who wishes to be considered a competitor;
operating with *both* the objectives of the contest in mind and expecting to be
officially rewarded for doing so.

There are those that use contests to seek *other* objectives (e.g. - WAS,
Section Sweep, DXCC, etc) that will: (1) play any way that they want to, (2)
must be allowed to do so without unnecessary interference -and- (2) must not be
allowed to submit a log that could be scored higher than those that followed
the rules.

So...it appears that the reality is that you're a "bad guy" if: (1) the event
rules say that you can't do what you did, (2) you did it anyway, (3) you submit
a log that disadvantages the score-placement of a "good guy".  In a world that
lacks absolutes, this is the only possible outcome. :)

Ev, W2EV