[CQ-Contest] Packet Cheat (excerpt of 'I can see the difference...')

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Packet Cheat (excerpt of 'I can see the difference...')
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:39:10 -0500
Tree,

My suggestion is to first do exactly what you propose... point out the
discrepancy to the operator involved and await explanation.  It is POSSIBLE
that there might be a legit reason for the busted call (for example, maybe
the station had a bug creep into their keyer string and was unwittingly
sending the wrong call).

But once extenuating circumstances have been ruled out, if you have proof
"beyond a reasonable doubt" that the station was running SO-A and not
unassisted, I see that you have two choices:

(1)  Automatically reclassify the log, telling the operator why -- and
cutting this break, if you choose to do so, only for a "first time offender"
and IF the transgressions were mild.

(2)  DQ the log for this year's contest.  Further penalty:  The operator can
not enter the same contest in any category the next year, and this to
include operating as an op or guest op at another station in any capacity.
(Of course, trying to prevent them from operating is another matter, but if
they do so, their log -- or more correctly the log of whatever station they
operate from -- automatically gets reclassified as a non-competitive check
log).

It may sound harsh, but I don't know of any other realistic penalty that a
contest committee can enforce.

And I would definitely include the "no log next year" to include any form of
competitive operating in the following year's contest.  DQ should mean DQ,
no loopholes.

IMHO.  YMMV.  VWPBL(STn)

73, ron w3wn