Re: [CQ-Contest] SS off time calculations

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SS off time calculations
From: "Dale Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:34:29 -0600

Great writeup and info, Tree.

If tracking our on/off times is important enough that it's used by the log
checking software in an arbitrary manner (any 30 minute period is an
offtime), why is it not our contest logging software as an aid/tool to help
us accurately track our times in real-time.

I know I spend a fair amount of time calculating and recalculating my
offtimes on Sunday morning to try to be sure that I don't run over.

Software is there to help us.  This doesn't seem like including on/off time
commands in the software (Cabrillo, log-checking and logging software:  type
in something like "offtime" when taking a break, the software starts the
offtime clock, displays it on the scree.  Later, type in something like
"ontime", the time-off clock stops (or time remaining clock starts), and
even warns you if you are within the 30 minute offtime rule.

Log checking software looks for the on/off time markers and calculates the
offtimes accordingly.

My on-the-air or, at least, my on-the-radio hours in ARRL 10 Meter contest
were closer to 24 or 25 hours than my reported 22 hours.  I went through the
log and totaled the three times I went more than 30 minutes without a QSO
and added it to my real offtimes.  I knew log checking software would see
the >30 minutes without a Q as an offtime, whether I was actually at the
radio looking for a QSO or out cleaning the pool.

Of all the features in today's contest logging software, it strikes me as
strange that on/off time tracking and checking is not one of them.

73,
Dale, kg5u