Re: [CQ-Contest] Get Rid of the Assisted Category

To: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Get Rid of the Assisted Category
From: "Ken Widelitz" <widelitz@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 15:22:12 -0800
Hi Mark,

Well, since you asked...

Apart from Multi-ops, the only time I was SOA was in ARRL DX CW at least 5
years ago. I think it hurt my score because I didn't know how to use it
properly to maximize my score. Using packet to maximize your score is a
skill that must be learned just like any other contest skill. I did operate
the last hour of an SS Unlimited, but really just used packet to find the
last needed mult for a sweep, so I can't count that effort.

I agree with Red, K0LUZ, that packet can be a tool that increases the fun
quotient, especially for guys who are looking for band/mode new ones in DX
contests. I do enjoy chasing spots on the mult radio in Multi-ops. The
technological combination of hardware, software and internet is just plain
cool, no question about it. I've hosted a Multi-op for CQWW Phone at VY2TT
the last few years in part because being able to watch the packet spots
helps me learn about propagation in anticipation of CQWW CW, which I do SO.

Personally, I agree with Mark that I find it more fun to find the mults on
my own.

My personal opinion is that if packet were to be allowed in the SO category,
I would have to learn the skill of using it to maximize my score, because
once I learned that skill, it would increase my score. But like learning
SO2R, my score would probably suffer until I mastered the skill. The only
contest in which I think it would increase my score without much additional
skill is SS, solely due to the Sunday afternoon doldrums when CQing just
doesn't produce much rate.

My personal opinion is that I would prefer to see SO and SOA (single op
using packet) considered separate categories. I definitely do NOT feel that
operators who choose to use packet and enter SOA are inferior to those who
chose not to use it. It IS a learned skill. Different strokes for different
folks.

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT