Re: [CQ-Contest] improving pileup efficiency (was NOT ID'ing everytime)

To: kr2q@optonline.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] improving pileup efficiency (was NOT ID'ing everytime)
From: Alan Zack <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 13:41:28 -0800
What if the guy on the other end is having a hard time copying your call
due to QRM, QRN, QSB, or an accent?  How many times have you not been
sure about a call on SSB because of one's accent?  Instead of QRZ? send
KR2Q.  Takes the same amount of effort.  That will tell the world you
are ready for the next caller and let them confirm your call.  Some of
the big gun contesters, especially some that go to the Caribbean, send
their calls so fast (CW or SSB) that it tends to run together and you
are not sure of the call until you hear it several times.  A very good
example is Jim when he goes to ZD8Z.  He ends each contact with ZD8Z
signifying that he is ready for the next caller and at the same time
confirming his call.
And no, this is not butt kissing to Jim because I am still P.O.'d at him
from when I was trying to get through to him when I was operating the
2002 ARRL 10 mtr as SOLP SSB Unassisted from the Philippines with 100
watts to a vertical.  He was a true 55 and steadily building but had a
big pile up.  I was sure I would get through to him in the next couple
of calls when one of his buddies asked him to go C.W. and he was gone.
Never heard him again on SSB.  Still need ZD8 in my DU log for a new
zone, mult, and country.  Have him on just about all bands from the home
call, but none from DU Land.

See:  http://www.arrl.org/contests/soapbox/index.html?con_id=24&call=k6acz

kr2q@optonline.net wrote:

>Hi all:
>
>Okay...so all of us have experienced the agony of having to wait through 2, 3,
>or 4 QSO's
>before "the other guy" signs his call.  "What's the matter with this guy?" is
>really more like
>"Gee whiz, I'm wasting my time here."
>
>But really, haven't we all engaged in "not signing our callsign each and every
>time?"
>Even QRP, I sometimes don't "need" to (and haven't).
>
>One Caller scenario:
>1.  TEST de KR2Q
>2.  9V1YC [only one caller]
>3.  9V1YC 5nn5
>4.  5nn28
>5.  TEST KR2Q
>

>Two caller scenario:
>1.  TEST de KR2Q
>2.  9V1YC*6NA [two callers]
>3.  9V1YC 5nn5
>4.  5nn28
>5.  QRZ [no ID]
>6.  9M6NA
>7.  9M6NA 5nn5
>8.  5nn28
>9.  TEST KR2Q
>
>Many callers:
>Well, you get the idea.
>
>So what "wastes our time" is actually being efficient for the other guy.  I
>agree that there
>should be a sensible limit, but what is "sensible" probably varies with the
>size of the pile.  As
>long as the CQer has callers, he "saves times" (aka, increases his rate) by
>not giving his
>callsign.  And if the pileup is huge, he can be more efficient by thinning it
>out by NOT signing
>rather than keeping it huge or even growing, thereby REDUCING the number of
>full calls he
>can copy at one time.
>
>I know that this is kinda "backwards" thinking, but I also know that we've all
>done this, though
>maybe on a much smaller scale.  As I said, even QRP (mostly during QRP
>"contests"), if I hear
>a couple guys answering my CQ, I'll work one and then just call QRZ cuz I know
>the other
>guy is still there just waiting for me -- well, most of the time anyway.
>
>Spotting assistance has certainly worsened this effect because of "instant
>pileups," but I really
>can't blame the guy working the pileup (not entirely) unless he doesn't sign
>after X number
>of qso's (pick your own X, probably proportional to your intensity/anxiety
>level).
>
>When I hear a guy not signing every time, I:
>1.  try to figure out if it is a needed mult (by zone [ITU or CQ], by state
>[such as ARRL 10m or 160m], etc.
>2.  will leave after 3 Q's if no ID and I don't "need" the mult or can't tell.
>3.  will leave after 5 Q's if no ID if it is a "needed" mult that I might not
>work later, but this is rare.
>     For example, I am not going to hang around to get the call of a guy in PA
> [...]

Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
Official USCG Auxiliary Comm Station
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Delta Rocket Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
Aviation Chief Warrant Officer,  U.S. Coast Guard, Retired
SEMPER PARATUS
http://gocoastguard.com
http://www.uscgradio.net
http://www.comm-one.org