Re: [CQ-Contest] I don't get it...so please help me out: 160m DX

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] I don't get it...so please help me out: 160m DX
From: "Shelby Summerville" <k4ww@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 06:44:21 -0500
kr2q@optonline.net wrote: "I'm a decent op, but I can't seem to work any
(not much) DX on 160 with qrp.I know that my antennas are not "great" but I
did work DXCC (qro) in about a year including some pretty nice stuff (3Y0,
VK6, JA, 8Q, etc)...not bad for NJ."

I really "hate to see grown men cry"! I've never even heard, much less
worked any of the DX that you mention! Living on a 60X100, city subdivision
lot, doesn't give much room for "efficient" 160 antenna? Presently, I'm
using a sloper, oriented North, approximently 100' feet long, mounted at the
45' level on the tower. Hopefully, in the near future that will be replaced
with a vertical, but it will only be 50' high. I also hope to build a
"restricted area" receive antenna. I don't operate QRP, but I do mostly low
power, and rely on the other stations having good receive antenna's!
Currently I've worked 44 DX entities, with 30 confirmed..."what am I doing
wrong"?   :-)

Happy New Year

C'Ya, Shelby - K4WW