Re: [CQ-Contest] other times

To: Kevin Normoyle <knormoyle@surfnetusa.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] other times
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 06:59:52 -0800
On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 04:38:47AM -0800, Kevin Normoyle wrote:
> In reading the rules for contests, it seems like the
> time from the start of the contest to your first q, and
> the time from your last q to the end of the contest, is never
> addressed, but that there is a traditional way it is assumed
> to be handled.
>

> For instance, my understanding is:
>
> -"off" time is always bounded by "on" times.
>
> -the two blocks of time mentioned, can be considered "other"
> times; neither "on" nor "off".

I think I understand what you are saying but I am not sure that
it is really that big a deal.

>From the start of the contest until your first contact
should be a fairly short time - unless you are N6TR/KL7.

And in a contest where there is off time - like Sweepstakes if you
dont make a QSO for the first 30 minutes or more then you just take an
offtime.  Taking time off in the first hour of a contest is generally
not a winning stragety.

The time between the last QSO and the ending time of the contest does
not seem to be an issue to me either.  If by the end of your contest
you have not already used up most it not all of your offtime than you
should not be on the radio - you should be taking offtime.

> -If there are restrictions on minimum size of "off" times,
> or number of blocks of "off" times, this doesn't have any
> affect on "other" times.

No, it does not - most contests have some phrase in the rules
that states listening time is the same as operating time and
by making a minimum size restriction to the offtime it prevents
us from claming that those 5, 10, 15 minute or more periods were we
have not made a contest as offtime.

> -So "other" times are never constrained by minimum
> "off" time requirements, or number of "off" time block requirements.

I thnk your 'other' times are really ON times where you
are either not making contacts or maybe not even at the radio
or asleep in front of it - one of the goals of mine is to
limit these 'other' times since they are neither helping me
burn offtime nor or they increasing my score.

> Interestingly, "on" times are also not constrained by minimum time
> requirements.

Should they be?  "On" time dones not have the same effect as
offtime in a contest where you have to take offtime.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net