Re: [CQ-Contest] A Plea to Cabrillo Robot Writers

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A Plea to Cabrillo Robot Writers
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 00:59:38 -0500
Ev,

You have got to be kidding, right?  Or are you auditioning for the John
Cleese role in the latest presentation of "Argument Clinic"?

I suggested using "00(0)" as a 'placeholder' for a non-existant (ie
non-sent) RS(T) report.  You have chosen to interpret that as my saying that
"RST" is a placeholder?  Are you really missing the point that much, or are
you just looking for an excuse to argue?

As far as thinking "strategically" versus "tactically..." I'm sorry, I just
spent the last 5 hours finishing up editing my club's newsletter and my
brain is fried.  But what you are proposing strikes me as using a
thermonuclear device to swat the fly... it will work, but do you really need
anything that drastic?

The only reason we have this minor problem (and it is a minor problem) is
that those who wrote the robot software and/or Cabrillo specs never allowed
for the possibility that a signal report wouldn't be part of the exchange.
That can easily be remedied in a future update to the spec and/or software
upgrade.  In the meantime, though, there are two simple solutions to the
problem at hand, neither of which requires a complete overhaul or
replacement for the Cabrillo specs at this time:

(1)  Permit the use of a "dummy" RST, the '00(0)' noted originally, to take
the place of an RS(T) report that was not sent in the contest, with the
explicit understanding that this represents "No RS(T)" and is used only to
prevent the robot from choking;

(2)  Make a very small addition to the rules of
no-RS(T)-in-the-exchange-Contests, exact wording TBD, but something on the
lines of "Since a signal report is not required as part of the exchange, for
logging purposes, a signal report of '59' or '599' is assumed unless
otherwise noted."

Either of these should satisfy the existing software robots, and solve a
very small problem, without resorting to a massive change at this time.

73