[CQ-Contest] Phil N6ZZ - R.I.P.

To: "Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>,"YCCC Reflector" <yccc@yccc.org>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Phil N6ZZ - R.I.P.
From: "Rich K2WR" <k2wr@njdxa.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:23:26 -0500
I first met Phil N6ZZ about 15 years ago at the home of Nigel, G3TXF, when we
both happened to show up for a visit at the same time.  Since then I worked
Phil dozens of times, usually in CQWW, often annoyed him with a "Hi Phil", and
sometimes got a "Hi Rich" in return.   We've had a number of interesting
conversations over the years at conventions and hamfests, and we briefly
discussed, half-seriously, the idea of having a Heathrow Terminal 3 Hamfest two
days after the CQWW CW contest every year, but we never pursued it.  You could
probably get a couple of dozen attendees.

I last saw Phil in January on the CCF DX & Contest meeting/cruise in Finland.
Phil gave a talk about his 40-zone CQWW project, complete with photos of QSL
cards for each one and a brief description of each operation.   I remember
thinking that ending at K1ZZ was fitting.   It's a remarkable achievement
(along with N6AA's).  I'd be surprised to find anybody taking the time and
trouble to attempt it again.

Phil was a great guy and we've lost another one of the great op's.

I have a proposal:  As a fitting, although brief, memorial to Phil, let's all
have a minute of silence right in the middle of the contest this weekend.  That
is 0000Z to 0001Z on March 4.  I know that's not really exactly the middle, nor
is the minute just before, but you get the idea.  We can all spare 5 or 6
QSO's, can't we?  Maybe there isn't time for the word to spread, but I think it
would be great if all the competitive stations just stopped for one minute at
0000Z on the 4th and started up again at 0001Z.  You might have to fight to get
your frequency back, but 10 years from now when you think about it you'll also
think of Phil.  FWIW, I will do this from K1TTT on 20 meters.  Why not?

Rich K2WR