Re: [CQ-Contest] Counting DC as a Multiplier and Not asPartofMaryland.

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Counting DC as a Multiplier and Not asPartofMaryland.
From: Richard DiDonna NN3W <nn3w@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 15:17:10 -0500
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
To: "'Eric Rosenberg'" <wd3q@starpower.net>; <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 11:51 AM

> The NAQP rules are what they are and there is no need to change
> them or to make DC a multiplier.  If DC were made a multiplier,
> the same logic would need to be extended to every other self-
> governing entity including Indian Reservations, etc.

The issue of D.C. versus indian reservations is old.  While there are
similarities, there are several differences that lessen the independence of th
reservations.  When you go to your polling station on the Navajo indian
reservation in Window Rock to vote, you're voting in a State of Arizona
election.  You're voting for John S. McCain III or Jon Kyl.  Your vote for
president contributes to the Arizona tally for the electoral college.  There is
no federal representation by any person in the House of Representatives or the
Senate.

In D.C., your vote is for Eleanor Holmes Norton (who DOES have a seat in the
House of Representatives.  You do not vote for Barbara McCulsky who is one of
Maryland's senator and your presidential vote does not constitute a vote for
the Maryland electoral votes.  To the contary, your presidential vote
represents a vote for the D.C. electoral college votes.

When you step off an indian reservation in Arizona, into the rest of Arizona to
drive, you need an Arizona driver's license - and you may indeed need one while
on the reservation.  In D.C. you need a D.C. driver;s license and you certainly
are not issued a Maryland driver's license.

To my knowledge, the Indian reservations do not have independent United States
federal district courts.  But, D.C. does.  It has the U.S. District Court for
the District of Columbia and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
 The Congress has clearly seen it fit that the District have its own federal
courts - similar to that of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

The differences are pretty definitive, and D.C. holds a unique position worthy
of multiplier recognition.

> DC is recognized for Maryland credit in the WAS program (it's not
> WAS + DC).

For purposes of WAS, I have no objections.  Or better yet, make it not
acceptable for Maryland.

> DC is not a "country" for DXCC purposes - therefore the comparison
> to Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands is not appropriate.

Actually the terns us "entity" as the DXCC refers to them.  I think a stronger
allusion to both Puerto Rico and the Virgins is their inclusion in the Federal
Court system as separate districts, their voting positions in elections, and
their quasi independent status - separate from ANY state control.

>> Now is the time for justice to be served by NCJ contest managers
>> moving in a positive direction to right this wrong!
>
> This is no more a "wrong" than the arbitrary multipliers in many
> other contests.  It is a historical fact of life that should be
> maintained for tradition and not changed on a whim.

I'm not sure how its being changed on a whim.  Its as much of a political
entity as any state (albeit without a governor).  Indeed most major contests
recognize it as a multiplier - ARRL DX, ARRL 10, CQWW 160, RTTY Roundup  and
several QSO parties including Florida (recently announced).

73 Rich NN3W