Re: [CQ-Contest] Zero Beating (slovenly or not)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Zero Beating (slovenly or not)
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 17:53:54 -0400
I wrote:
 >          A trained human ear has ~50 Hz bandwidth so it is
 > fairly easy to separate multiple signals even inside
 > 1000 Hz bandwidth.  This is how the guys who win the
 > Dayton pileups do it (e.g. K3ZO)...and they are also
 > good at copying multiple signals on different frequencies
 > simultaneously.  Programs like Morse Runner are excellent
 > practice for this if you need to improve your ear/brain's
 > DSP.

W9WI replied:
 >And that *can* work fairly well, but merely being able to
copy multiple signals through the QRM doesn't help that much
if the *other guy* doesn't have the same ability...

         But a caller doesn't need to.  He is answering
*your* CQ.  He may have taken minutes to tune you in
very carefully with a 100 Hz filter and code-reading
software before he called.  On the other hand the
runner must be prepared to copy stations answering
+/- 500 Hz off his running frequency, whether due to
the caller being "tone deaf", accidentally leaving his
RIT on, or whatever...and the runner must respond very
quickly (which precludes ultra-narrow filters).  I
have even answered some callers that are outside a
1000 Hz passband when I could copy their clicks or
phase noise!  As I said before, forget about this
trick in extremely crowded contests like CQ 160 CW.

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV