[CQ-Contest] Logs public for high scorers

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Logs public for high scorers
From: Scott Robbins <w4pa@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:03:03 -0700 (PDT)
W3PP:
>I think there are a number of reasons not to do this.  For one, the contest
>committee is in a much better position to question and adjudicate
>irregularities.  That's why they get the big bucks (sic).  Opening the logs
>to public scrutiny results in mayhem on this and other boards and in the
>long run is not healthy for our sport.  Publishing logs is also a mammoth
>task requiring a lot of server space with no real return except to provide
>fodder for malcontents and nit pickers.  Many participants, and in
>particular new or small to moderate entrants, are often sensitive when it
>comes to the publishing of logs that reveal their competency level.  They
>are generally trying to improve their skills, and accept adjudication of
>errors, but don't really want the entire contest community bashing them in a
>public forum.  To them it is sort of like being tied to a post and beaten in
>the public square.  If you want to reduce the participation in contests,
>this is a sure fire way to do it.

So let's do it the way the CQWW rules mandate -- that high-scoring entrants
have to allow logs to be public at the discretion of the CQWW committee as a
condition of entering the contest.  That keeps the newer or casual contesters
from getting beat up publicly -- which isn't the goal anyway.  Why not have
CQWW put up the top 10 logs in each major category like SOABHP, M/S, M/M and
maybe top 5 for some of the smaller categories like single band?

I would have no problem whatsoever for logs with a top 5 or top 10 score in
every category for every contest to be publicly posted when the results of the
contest are made public.  I've posted my UBN/NIL passwords publicly before and
have always handed over copies of my logs to people that have asked to look at
them once the log submission period has passed; I can't think of any good
reason not to do so.  What are they gonna learn, that I moved some mults on the
second radio?  That I like 20 meters?  I mean, really...

What's the big deal?

Scott W4PA

W4PA Contest Blog - http://w4pa.journalspace.com
What Is Radio Contesting? - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contesting