Re: [CQ-Contest] QST vs. NCJ

To: Michael Keane K1MK <k1mk@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QST vs. NCJ
From: Charles Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 05:29:15 -0400

On 6/19/2007 Michael Keane K1MK wrote:

> At 08:40 PM 6/18/2007, Charles Gallo wrote:

...snip...
>>Gee - the NRA manages to get their news out while offering their
>>members 3 or 4 choices of monthly magazine.  The Important editorial
>>and news columns appear in all 3 magazines
>>--
>>73 de KG2V

> Yes, but there are very different economies of scale at work in that
> comparison. The NRA has  approximately 4,300,000 members, while the
> ARRL has approximately 152,000 members. And NCJ has something like
> 1500 to 2000 paid subscribers.

> 73,
> Mike K1MK

> Michael Keane K1MK
> k1mk@alum.mit.edu

That IS true - but the NRA actually publishes 4 magazines, in 5 or 6 versions
(local news pages in the back of each one - based on the section of the country)

Now - what would the circulation of NCJ be if it was offered as a replacement
for QST?

That said, I'd probably be one of those who subscribed to both, but even as
someone who enters 2-3 minor contests/year (yeah - I'm not very active) I get a
LOT more out of NCJ.  There is less "Build a 2 meter whip with a coat hanger"
and a lot more about really improving your station

--
73 de KG2V

For the Children - RKBA!

"Blame the idiots. Think globally, but mock them locally. "
 -- mwalker (walker@msgto.com) on slashdot.org