Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R REMOTE CONTESTING

To: hk1kxa@hotmail.com, w5ov@w5ov.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R REMOTE CONTESTING
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:41:57 EDT

In a message dated 6/29/2007 3:13:02 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
hk1kxa@hotmail.com writes:

Is my  opinion that the intention of this rule is to avoid someone taking
advantage of having several antennas in different areas so separated that
said antennas would have different propagation condx. As long as the TX-RX
station is within property limits or the 500m radius, it doesnt matter if
the operator is a few inches, or one mile or 2500 km away from the radios.
Is like having long cables connecting the detachable fronts of the
equipment. Another thing would be if the operator uses another RX or TX or
TX-RX station at the remote controlling site, this would qualify that op  in
a brand new category:

I was on the ARRL Contest Advisory Committee in the late 1970s-early 1980s
when the 500 meter rule was adopted for the ARRL DX contests.

It's point was to address two issues:

First, the use of remote receivers.  At the time this meant the use  by those
with connections to the US government who had access  to remote receive sites
in Europe or elsewhere to listen to a pileup from  3000 miles closer to its
source. I don't know that anyone had ever actually used  such remote receivers,
but we were aware of the possibility.

Second, to require that a multioperator operation be done from a single
location, rather different bands from different stations. This was believed to
have been happening in certain Eastern European countries. This practice is of
course now specifically permitted for Headquarters Stations in the IARU
Contest,  though not for other multioperator stations or in other contests.

At the time the concept of totally operating a station from a remote
location had never come up. The rules were not adopted to prevent something
that  no
one could envision at that time.

AFAIK the CQ contests soon thereafter adopted similar rules.

73  -  Jim  K8MR