Re: [CQ-Contest] [ICOM] Icom 756PRO question

To: "'ICOM Reflector'" <icom@mailman.qth.net>,"'Cq-Contest Reflector'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [ICOM] Icom 756PRO question
From: "Bruce McLaughlin" <bmclaugh@bex.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 22:49:49 -0400
I have the 756 Pro.  Although it is a very nice radio in most respects, I do
think it suffers from the lack of narrow roofing filters. That becomes a
problem when trying to copy weak stations (SSB or CW) very close to strong
signals - - in other words, under typical contest conditions.  I'm not
suggesting it is unusable for contesting but there are better rigs for that
purpose such as the tried and true FT 1000D, the FT 1000 MP and the Orion
series from Ten Tec.  I recently acquired an Orion II.  I am amazed by the
close in freedom from intermod provided by its many roofing filters, the
narrowest of which is 300 Hz.  You can slide up to a strong CW signal only 1
Khz or less away and you won't hear it and won't have any AGC pumping, etc.
Take a look at the W8JI or Sherwood Engineering internet sites.  They both
have tested and have ranked the various radios for performance.  Of course,
a 756 Pro can be acquired for a lot less money than a new Orion II so
obviously that may be a factor.

Bruce - W8FU