Re: [CQ-Contest] Fwd: K3 initial comments

To: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Fwd: K3 initial comments
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 18:13:11 -0400
Bill Tippett wrote:
> 2.  I suggested Elecraft consider assignment of RIT to
> the Main knob when LCK is depressed.  This allows you to
> use the Main knob for RX, with TX frequency locked, as
> you would when running stations on a single frequency.
> This is such a simple idea but only Piexx ever picked up
> on it in their digital board for the TS-930S.
Bill,

I'm pretty sure the yaesu FT-One back in the early 80s had this same
configuration.  I had the opportunity to use one of these at the 20M
position from N5AU in the 1982 CQWW SSB contest and thought use of the
main tuning knob for RIT when the VFO was locked was a great idea.
However, when the FT-One never really caught on the idea didn't get much
exposure and I never saw it anywhere else until Piexx picked up on it
for their TS-930 upgrade board.

The FT-One was quite a radio in its day, with a lot of features which we
take for granted today but which were innovative in its time.  It was
also quite expensive (perhaps why it never caught on) - in some ways, it
was the forerunner of todays "superradios" (FTDX-9000, IC-7800, etc.).

73,

Dave/K8CC