Re: [CQ-Contest] NA Sprint contest -- Question regarding the rules

To: Olivier F5MZN <olecam@f5mzn.org>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NA Sprint contest -- Question regarding the rules
From: Steve Harrison <k0xp@dandy.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 01:06:37 +0000
At 01:02 AM 7/9/2007 +0200, Olivier F5MZN wrote:
>Hi -
>
>I'm currently thinking on implementing the NA Sprint in the Win-Test
>contest logger I autor. I've been told that it is necessary to send the
>informations in a different order according to whether you are replying
>to a CQ or CQed yourself, but I can't see anything on the rules on that
>topic. What are the usual habits?

No, it's not a rule, per se; it's mainly a convenience, and something that
you won't find in any other contest to my knowledge.

Basically, all the Sprints REQUIRE that each station send BOTH your, and
his, callsigns. And so what evolved was that the station who's CQ has been
answered, will respond like so (you have called me, in the following
example, and I'm now sending you my exchange):

F5MZN K0XP 001 Steve CT

Then you, as the station who called me, respond:

K0XP 001 Olivier France F5MZN

Note that I signed my call at the beginning of my exchange to you, whereas
you sign your call at the end of your exchange to me. (Also note I typed
the QSO numbers as 001 but in reality, we usually do not send the leading
zeros at all, in the Sprint Ladder).

The point is that, due to the Sprint rules regarding having to QSY after
making a QSO due to a CQ, people tuning across our QSO know, automatically,
who will have to QSY and who can now take over the frequency and CQ; they
copy your callsign at the end of your exchange and so know that you are who
they will be calling and working.

In short: the station who "owned" the frequency, has to give it up to the
station that called him/her, and QSY before being allowed to CQ again.

This is all explained much more coherently here, as given me by W4NZ:
http://n6tr.jzap.com/sprint.html

Another good resource is the "CW Sprinting - Beginners Guide" by Bill W4AN.
 It's at:
http://www.contesting.com/articles/198

If you do mess up and don't sign your call in the "right" place, it's not a
rule-breaker; it just makes it a bit more difficult for others to know
whether they can call you since they can't work you twice in a roll (the
"dupe" rule of Sprint). Even with computer loggers/senders, some of us
still manage to get it wrong and sign at the wrong time  ;o|

If you can, see whether you can put a "fatsche fingerzes" correction factor
of some kind in your logger, please?  ;o)))))))))

Steve, K0XP